[tmtranscripts] Fw: SW TeaM Gathering

Association for Light & Life all at onewest.net
Sat Oct 9 13:06:56 PDT 2004

From: Gerdean
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:52 PM
Subject: SW TeaM Gathering

Greetings, ALL,

This is a long, friendly jabber.

Today I had the pleasure once again of stealing into the South Valley, this time to take the check and the contract to Stephanie, the lady at Canossian Spiritual Center, with which to secure February 18, 19 and 20 (with an option for the 21st) for the SW TeaM February Gathering.

I'll be drumming up a formal announcement and working on a Reservation Form in the next week or two, but let me just tell you a bit about my jaunt today during the lunch hour.

It is early autumn here. The temperature was probably mid 70's, and utterly clear and gorgeous. Everything dazzles in this sunlight. The city was typically congested. Maybe more than usual because we are hosting many, many visitors for the International Balloon Fiesta which is taking place now. So, to get away from the freeway, I took the back road, down Broadway, and it gave me a chance to look at all the changes the City has made and just to keep close to the streets and the neighborhoods.

I checked out the proximity of downtown and the airport to the center. Before I send out the Reservation Form, I will create a good map and have accurate mileage, but suffice it for now to say that the distance from the airport is not far. If you took a cab, you would leave the airport by the back way, and come around the south side of University, which becomes Rio Bravo, which is also the freeway turnoff. From there you rather flutter like an autumn leaf into the huge expanse of simple, quiet lowlands.

The Valley is the least sophisticated area of Albuquerque. In fact, it isn't even in the city limits; it's in the county. But it has all the charm that a city cannot sustain. After you cross Prince, and Second Street, but before you come to Isleta, you cross the Rio Grande.

You probably all have a soft spot for some geographic landmark that makes your heart swell. Well, mine surely must be that river. The water level is frightfully low. But even with all the sandbars, it is still beautiful. Lovely big billowing cottonwoods on the bosque running along both sides, just beginning to show clumps of yellow in with the green.

I turned south on Isleta, and wound down the road a few miles, through what must be rightfully considered the local's home turf, gawking all the while at everything my eyes could take in. The big new mansions springing up, next to the humble, dusty adobes. The mountains for a backdrop. The poco tiempo (slow time) of Old Mexico.

And then there it is, not far past Gun Club Road -- the Canassian place, run by half a dozen nuns. It's all enclosed behind an adobe wall, and it has a wrought iron gate entrance, with a gravel circle drive around a central garden. Near the entrance there is also a very nice labyrinth.

Here is the website where you can look at the pictures and read about it:

http://www.geocities.com/fdccspirituality/

I usually find it by searching: new mexico catholic retreat house

devoted to the care of profoundly handicapped children

I've been there three times now. I love it. The first time I went there, I was not able to find anybody to talk to so I meandered around by myself and went everywhere, in back, beside, in front, around. It was wonderful. I stood there in the ... aura of the Valley --- in that garden ... and just wept. I love the Valley.

But then later, at another time, I went back and saw inside, and it was even wonderful inside. here are little gardens everywhere. I sat there by the little fountain, with a statue of Mary over the water, surrounded by roses. Very pretty.

The "retreat house" is behind an adobe wall, and sets away from the Sisters' Residence and the Administrative Offices. You get there by going into Registration Area, which is quite quaint. It leads into the dining room.

The dining room is wonderful! A LOT of round tables, with plenty of chairs. Big enough to be generous and gracious but not so big as to be industrial. And the tablecloths were pink! How pretty! With lots of windows. It was very pretty and obviously clean without being anticeptic. The kitchen was behind that but she didn't take me there. Instead we went through a breezeway into the Conference area.

First we stopped at the chapel. The chapel is quite nice. Stephanie and I sat in it for a while so as to "take a moment" and it ... well, it worked. It was a lovely tranquil spot. Behind the altar is a semi-circular wall of rock, like the old civilizations used. There was also a lecturn, good natural light, interesting architecture and plenty of chairs.

Next to that, the Conference Room appeared to be about 40' by 60' and had one of those accordian dividers, in case we wanted to separate into two groups. Here we have access to tables, chairs, a podium, microphone, speakers stuff ... and all the windows to the rear look out to this huge and beautiful field. (Can you tell I am a country girl at heart?)

Across from the Conference Room is the Library, which is also a lovely area. It has a sofa set up, as well as, I think it was, three tables with chairs and of course, lots of books and an ambiance suitable for conversing, counseling, healing or T/R'ing private sessions.

Then there is an L-shaped hallway with rooms on both sides of a very wide hallway, carpeted, with lots of natural light and alcoves here, so it doesn't look like monotonous. At the far end is the exit to the parking lot where folks will park their cars. And midway along the east wing is what they call the Map Room, which appears to be another excellent area for hanging out and being spiritually intimate.

I have not yet seen the sleeping areas because they were occupied when I was there. I might not be able to see them until we get there in February, but I have every confidence they will also be perfectly wonderful. Several of them have their own bath but that's something I will want to study and put on the Registration Form.

Well, you could've gotten all this information by looking at the website. I've talked more than enough, but obviously I am very pleased with the location and am eager to share it. It's very exciting to be hosting the first SW TeaM Gathering. More later. Including MANY interesting options. Space is limited. Those of you who have already responded are already notated as having dibs.

Have a great weekend, ALL,
Gerdean