[tmtranscripts] 10-30-05.RR Walking Amid Trees

John Stephan paradise_journey at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 10 18:23:41 PST 2005

Manu Puri: "All origins are spiritual, so consider that perspective."

All human disease and natural death was at first believed to be due to
spirit influence. Even at the present time some civilized races regard
disease as having been produced by "the enemy" and depend upon religious
ceremonies to effect healing. Later and more complex systems of theology
still ascribe death to the action of the spirit world, all of which has led
to such doctrines as original sin and the fall of man. (952.5)

Yes, Manu, it is certainly a "perspective," one characterized by the
revelators as part of primitive religious beliefs that were part of the
"early evolution of religion."

The primitive mind may be handicapped by lack of facts, but it is for all
that logical. When thoughtful men observe disease and death, they set about
to determine the causes of these visitations, and in accordance with their
understanding, the shamans and the scientists have propounded the following
theories of affliction: (989.5)

1. Ghosts--direct spirit influences. The earliest hypothesis advanced in
explanation of disease and death was that spirits caused disease by enticing
the soul out of the body; if it failed to return, death ensued. The ancients
so feared the malevolent action of disease-producing ghosts that ailing
individuals would often be deserted without even food or water. Regardless
of the erroneous basis for these beliefs, they did effectively isolate
afflicted individuals and prevent the spread of contagious disease.

2. Violence--obvious causes. The causes for some accidents and deaths were
so easy to identify that they were early removed from the category of ghost
action. Fatalities and wounds attendant upon war, animal combat, and other
readily identifiable agencies were considered as natural occurrences. But it
was long believed that the spirits were still responsible for delayed
healing or for the infection of wounds of even "natural" causation. If no
observable natural agent could be discovered, the spirit ghosts were still
held responsible for disease and death.
P.990 - §2 3. Magic--the influence of enemies. Much sickness was thought to
be caused by bewitchment, the action of the evil eye and the magic pointing
bow. At one time it was really dangerous to point a finger at anyone; it is
still regarded as ill-mannered to point. In cases of obscure disease and
death the ancients would hold a formal inquest, dissect the body, and settle
upon some finding as the cause of death; otherwise the death would be laid
to witchcraft, thus necessitating the execution of the witch responsible
therefor. These ancient coroner's inquests saved many a supposed witch's
life. Among some it was believed that a tribesman could die as a result of
his own witchcraft, in which event no one was accused.

4. Sin--punishment for taboo violation. In comparatively recent times it has
been believed that sickness is a punishment for sin, personal or racial.
Among peoples traversing this level of evolution the prevailing theory is
that one cannot be afflicted unless one has violated a taboo. To regard
sickness and suffering as "arrows of the Almighty within them" is typical of
such beliefs. The Chinese and Mesopotamians long regarded disease as the
result of the action of evil demons, although the Chaldeans also looked upon
the stars as the cause of suffering. This theory of disease as a consequence
of divine wrath is still prevalent among many reputedly civilized groups of
Urantians.

5. Natural causation. Mankind has been very slow to learn the material
secrets of the interrelationship of cause and effect in the physical domains
of energy, matter, and life. The ancient Greeks, having preserved the
traditions of Adamson's teachings, were among the first to recognize that
all disease is the result of natural causes. Slowly and certainly the
unfolding of a scientific era is destroying man's age-old theories of
sickness and death. Fever was one of the first human ailments to be removed
from the category of supernatural disorders, and progressively the era of
science has broken the fetters of ignorance which so long imprisoned the
human mind. An understanding of old age and contagion is gradually
obliterating man's fear of ghosts, spirits, and gods as the personal
perpetrators of human misery and mortal suffering.

Hum, I wonder which category Nebodonia's statement would fall into?
Obviously not "Natural causation ;-)

The bacteria, simple vegetable organisms of a very primitive nature, are
very little changed from the early dawn of life; they even exhibit a degree
of retrogression in their parasitic behavior. Many of the fungi also
represent a retrograde movement in evolution, being plants which have lost
their chlorophyll-making ability and have become more or less parasitic. The
majority of disease-causing bacteria and their auxiliary virus bodies really
belong to this group of renegade parasitic fungi. During the intervening
ages all of the vast kingdom of plant life has evolved from ancestors from
which the bacteria have also descended. (732.1)

These guardians of health also sought to introduce handshaking in
substitution for saliva exchange or blood drinking as a seal of personal
friendship and as a token of group loyalty. But when out from under the
compelling pressure of the teachings of their superior leaders, these
primitive peoples were not slow in reverting to their former
health-destroying and disease-breeding practices of ignorance and
superstition. (748.3)

The evolution of statehood entails progress from level to level, as follows:
(806.15)

7. The fostering of science and the conquest of disease.